Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Industrial Tribunal Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as a judge with Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I own a house in France jointly with a friend of mine.

Customer Question

Hi. I own a house in France jointly with a friend of mine. She got into debt and was made bankrupt. The liquidator is trying to dissolve the joint ownership so that he can sell the house. The debt was not secured on the house and I have nothing to do with it. Can the courts allow this?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
Yes the court can allow that. The only way to avoid this would be to accept to purchase your friend's share of the house. The house now belongs to you and the liquidation (read the debtors as a collective entity) since it would appear that all assets owned by you friend were seized. No-one can be forced into remaining in a co-ownership (indivision). Either the other co-owners (only you if I understand well) agree to buy out the liquidation's share or they can obtain a court order to have the house auctioned off to recoup their share of the house price.