Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have lost the sight in my right Eye several years aga, I

Customer Question

I have lost the sight in my right Eye several years aga, I have developed a Cateract on the right eye now which is bad, would like the operation to remove same, am however most concerned regarding the danger of loss of sight in the eye when removing Cateract, is this very likely, would appreciate advice on this procedure.

Than you Ben S Astell Canford Cliffs
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
Thanks for the question.
Blindness with Cataract surgery is extremely uncommon now and is almost a rarity since the advent of new techniques and safe ways of surgery.
Infact, nowadays the surgery is done under local anesthesia and is a day care procedure.
The risk of blindness with Cataract left untreated is far greater than with Cataract surgery.
The facts are that 51 percent of the blindness in the world is due to untreated Cataract.
With surgery, the risks of blindess are less than 2 percent.
Other complications are also very rare and your Ophthalmologist (Eye Surgeon) will brief you about all the possible complications and risks associated with this surgery before you consent for the procedure.
I suggest that you go ahead with the procedure rather than waiting for the cataract to completely obscure your vision in the one good eye you have.
Hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating for the service if satisified.
If you have more queries, use reply and do not rate yet.
Best.