Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi, I have recently returned from a long 13 hour flight on

Customer Question

Hi, I have recently returned from a long 13 hour flight on sunday and I noticed after staying awake to avoid jet lag that my eyes were extremely heavy. The next morning on the monday my right eye vision wasn't quite right. It seem to be blurred around the outer area, I can see the word when reading but i have to focus on a letter within the word to read it, so its like looking down a tiny straw if that makes sense. I have no pain and I have no double vision i can see all the colours. I do not wear glasses, however I have over the last two years bought off the shelf :( glasses to read close up. My eyes do not feel over moist if anything a little dry! I haven't experience anything like this before, please can you advise. Many thanks, Tracie
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Tracie, What you are describing sounds very consistent with a drying out of the tear film of the eye. Being on long flights is notorious for causing eyes to dry out. But especially, this is the case when you are awake during this entire time. When the eyes dry out in the tear film is unstable, because the tear film helps maintain normal vision, the drying out of it is known to cause the strange visual complaints you're noticing.
Dr. Dan B. : I would recommend starting to use artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day in this eye, and it wouldn't hurt if you used it in the other eye as well. But the key is to be consistent with the artificial tear use. Make sure it is at least 3 to 4 times per day, every day, for the next week week at least. If you feel like you need it still after a week, it may be that he would need to use it in this manner for up to 3-4 weeks.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!