DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was diagnosed with a condition called Medical Retina by Bristol

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with a condition called Medical Retina by Bristol eye hospital. The consultation was an emergency treatment because my optician discovered that I lost partial macular vision and bleeding could be seen. That day (10th December 2013) Bristol eye hospital have given me an appointment on ~7th January. My question concerns the following enquiry.
(1) Could a retinal detachment or a retinal tare be diagnosed within the general diagnosis of 'medical retina'? (2) Is there a danger of permanent vision loss due to formation of scar or scab as a result of bleeding (3) Does the above description warrant urgent consultation, given that the NHS consultation is not offered for 3 weeks? (4) If deemed necessary what is the approximate cost for a private initial consultation.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Medical retina would imply a problem that is systemic that shows up in the retinal, such as diabetes or hypertension. Basically, non-surgical retinal disease. It would not include retinal detachment. If there is extensive damage from , say diabetes, then there needs to be treatment as soon as possible.

There is no way to tel you the private cost without knowing the condition that needs to be treated.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Please to not forget a positive rating.