Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my 8th month old granddaughter has conjunctivitis and has drops

my 8th month old granddaughter has conjunctivitis and has drops for her eyes to be given twice daily. my daughter is distraught the baby goes hysterical when they try to put the drops in. would her g.p. be able to tgive her cream instead.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. Certainly giving an ointment is a possibility for treatment of conjunctivitis. However, I can tell you that putting a cream/ointment into the eye is going to be much harder, and likely much more of a traumatic experience for the child than putting a drop in which only requires a few seconds of holding the lids open compared to probably two-three times longer a time of holding the lids open and a more difficult time applying it. In my experience, most kids will get over the "fear" or "trauma" of having eye drops pretty quickly. Does this make sense?

Dr. Dan B. :

Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!