Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My father has cataracts AND glaucoma to both eyes. The glaucoma

Customer Question

My father has cataracts AND glaucoma to both eyes. The glaucoma is far worst in one eye than in the other.

He had cataract surgery (replacement of the lens by an artificial one) a month ago on the worst eye, and got virtually no vision improvement as a result. Possibly, the strong glaucoma on this eye limited the benefit of the surgery (we're not sure about this). He is due to get the same cataract surgery on the best eye in two weeks.

My father has been told that cataract surgery leads to loss of vision of the operated eye in 5% of cases. In his case however, because his other eye sees very little, he would not just lose one eye but vision altogether, which scares him.

The question is: considering the relative failure of the other eye's surgery and the fact that the other's eye glaucoma is worst, what are the odds that this surgery will improve vision, and if it does, how much improvement can be expected?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for following up.

I understand that my question may actually be hard or even impossible to answer.

Still I would like to wait a little bit more.

Thanks !

Regards,

F. XXXXXXX.

Hello F. Pallaud,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What did the surgeon tell him?