Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

It has been 5 weeks since I had a retinal detachment operation

Customer Question

It has been 5 weeks since I had a retinal detachment operation with gas bubble. I was told to sleep upright for 2-3 weeks which I have done for 5+ weeks now. The gas bubble is still visible but reduced. I don't go back for a check up for another 3 weeks. Can I lie down in a bed yet?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

sleeping upright allows the gas bubble to float to the top of the orbit to help keep the upper retina inplace. when you sleep on your back, the gas bubble doesn't help

if you can't sleep sitting up anymore, then sleep inclined or on your back

but if you can still manage to sleep sitting up, keep trying to do so.

I know it is not easy, but this will give you the best chance of keeping the retina in place.

good luck

let me know if you have questions.