Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

My wife is 76. She is virtually blind in one eye and has a

Customer Question

My wife is 76. She is virtually blind in one eye and has a blocked tear duct in the other.
She has tried the usual eye drops without success.
She has been referred to an ophthalmic surgeon for surgery.
What is the probability of losing he eyesight in this eye as a result of the the surgery being unsuccesful?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

A blocked tear duct , also called as chronic dacryocystitis (CDC), is best treated by surgery called as DCR or dacryocystorhinitis. This surgery creates a bypass by letting the tears flow into the nose bypassing the blocked part. However this surgery does not cause any reduction in the vision. I can understand her apprehension regarding the surgery but DCR does not cause any reduction in vision whatsoever.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist