Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration. I have been

I have been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration.
I have been given an injection into the eye.
My vision seemed to improve a little at first but now it is back to how it was before I was diagnosed.
I have to go back to the hospital for another injection in 2 weeks.
What is the prognosis for this?

I have also been told I have high blood pressure - the first time ever.

Are the two connected?
My doctor has sent away a blood sample and will monitor my progress.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Without being able to examine you, and without knowing the specifics of your macular degeneration, including what exact type it is (I know it is wet, or exudative already), what your visual acuity was and is now, and other things that would be difficult for you to know, I cannot give you a specific prognosis.
Dr. Dan B. : However, I can tell you that those patients who continue with their course of injections and do as recommended, many patients are able to at least have a cessation of the worsening of their macular degeneration. If these changes, to include leaking or bleeding, were caught quick enough, then up to a third of patients can get vision back that was lost with these injections. However, very few people see this level of success after only one injection. For some people they are able to get a few consecutive, monthly injections, and then have them spread out to a few months at a time and only may have six or eight injections total. However, there is still a distinct subset of people who require monthly injections for many months, or who are on, at least, a less frequent schedule but are on the injections for several years. While it remains to be seen how you will respond, these drugs are essentially miraculous compared to the treatments that were the standard of care only a few years ago. They are, far and away, your best option for retaining and improving your vision. While you are not here to chat with me, I hope this is been a helpful answer to your question. I am happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Thank you for that info.

Customer:

I had wondered if the high blood pressure result was connected to the Macular Degeneration and there is no info on that?

Experience: and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology