Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

after my recent deep photograph of my eyes I have been told

after my recent deep photograph of my eyes I have been told that some diabetic damage has been done to my eyes.is this problem reversible
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.
Diabetic retinopathy changes are not reversible but further damage can be prevented by keeping strict control of blood sugars, regular eye exam to moniter the changes , timely treatment when advised. Depending on the blood sugar level over a long period of time, the retinopathy progresses. If there is minimal fluctuation and good control, then the retinopathy may not progress further. In case there is poor control of blood sugar levels with too much fluctuations, then it may progress rapidly. Vision does not get affected until late in the disease or until the macula, central part of retina, is involved. Thus vision cannot be considered as an indicator of disease progress. The changes which develop in the eye are usually symptomless and are detected only during the dilated eye exam. In early stages, annual eye exam is enough to moniter the progress. If there are signs of progress then laser treatment is advised. In severe cases injections are advised into the eye to prevent further damage. Thus prevention is the most important thing in diabetic retinopathy.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist