Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha, Emergency Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine- can answer eye emergencies
16455829

Had an eye examination.Last saturday at the opticians. I was

Customer Question

Had an eye examination.Last saturday at the opticians. I was the last patient of the day. The optician found a shadow on the retina of the right eye. He suggested a further examination with a scanning machine ( apparently few opticians have these ) which showed that the shadow was in his opinion only pigment. The scan showed a cross section through the tissues of the eye. AT one corner of the scan he said that the retina was partially detached. He said nothing further about this. I was the last patient before he went on a 2 week holiday to Turkey. I have now been reading about detached retina and i am now concerned.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 2 years ago.
yes, if there is a detached retina, then you need to see an ophthalmologist within 24 hours to tack it down.
That being said, I do know you were seen on Sat and now it is Monday- you should still be seen by the opthalmolgist regardless.
If your vision has not changed, that is promising that this is not a detached retina, but just as a precaution, I would get seen anyway right away...

Keep me posted.

I hope that this helped
please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise
use reply for clarificationI