Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had a retinal tear diagnosed on 9th Sept and had laser treatment

Customer Question

I had a retinal tear diagnosed on 9th Sept and had laser treatment the same day, at the Eye Casualty unit of my local hospital. I returned the next day because I suffered more floaters which appeared suddenly - the unit checked my eye, found no further problem and sent me away. This afternoon and evening I feel that my vision has deteriorated: as well as many floaters, my vision is quite blurred and cloudy. I have an appointment to see an eye specialist tomorrow at midday but am worried in case I have a retinal detachment. How critical is a few hours in this case? What I am wondering is if there is anything I need to do tonight, or can it wait until I see the specialist in the morning?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to read a clock from across the room with this eye? Can you read a magazine with this eye? Does it feel like there is a curtain or veil drawn over the vision? Do you have diabetes? Has there been any trauma to this eye?

Dr. Dan B. :

Are you there?

Dr. Dan B. :

I do actually need to have this additional information from you to be able to give you the most accurate information.

Customer:

Hi, for some reason I could not reply online. The answers are: I think I could just about read a clock across a room with this eye. Reading a magazine is difficult as it is very blurry. Yes, it is a bit like a veil over the eye. I do not have diabetes. There has been no trauma to the eye, although I did have cataract surgery nine months ago (which was successful I believe).

Customer:

Have sent my reply by the email route. Pls tell me if you have not received it.

Dr. Dan B. :

Perfect. Thanks for your responses and sorry for the technical difficulty you're having. Your fear of a retinal detachment is not unfounded. Of course, knowing that I cannot examine you, it makes it difficult for me to give you definitive advice. However...

Dr. Dan B. :

I think the questions that need to be answered are the following: 1) Has the vision worsened significantly since you were seen yesterday? 2) Is the symptom of a veil over the eye new since yesterday? 3) Is that veil drawn over the whole vision, over only part of the vision, or undetermined? If you went to the Eye Casualty unit, would you be able to access a retinal specialist if need be?

Customer:

I do think the vision is worse since yesterday in that I think it is more blurred today, though still with the same floaters I had yesterday when examined. I am not sure about the veil effect and when that happened. I noticed when I lay down that the floaters seemed to drift upwards and I could see better in the lower part of my eye, i.e. below where the floaters were. The question about going to an Eye Casualty unit is difficult as it is past midnight and I would have to research where I might find a specialist, if at all, tonight.

Dr. Dan B. :

Based on what you've told me, I would just wait it out until tomorrow when you see the retinal specialist as there is likely not going to be access to a retinal specialist in the middle of the night, nor would emergency surgery likely be performed for this in the middle of the night. The best thing to do is take it easy, sleep with your head elevated about 30 degrees, don't strain yourself, don't rub the eye and try to limit reading. Watching TV is okay though. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes thanks.

Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any questions about this?
Customer:

No,I don't think any more questions so I'll sign off now.