Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

laser treatment has been recommended to me due to narrowing

laser treatment has been recommended to me due to narrowing angles which puts me at risk of angle closure glaucoma. (My mother had glaucoma).
I am told it reduces the risk of pressure. They will freeze the eyes (both as far as I know), held open, laser directed to middle of each pupil.
I am very nervous about having this done this coming week, not having had any previous eye 'treatments'. Are there any risks to having this done and how long will it affect my vision(and it returns to normal) after it being done?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. I -perform this laser procedure several times per week, and I can tell you that it is a very safe procedure and patients tolerate it very well.
Dr. Dan B. : While it is not completely a painless experience, there's only mild discomfort, at worst, associated with it. The biggest risk with this laser is that the pressure in the eye can increase shortly after the procedure, which is why your surgeon will monitor your eye pressure for an hour after the procedure before you go home. This enables them to control any increase in pressure. Other than that, most of doctors will have you use a steroid drop four times per day in that eye for a week before rechecking it. There's nothing else that you need to worry about as far as activity restrictions. And other than what I have discussed, there usually is nothing else to worry about. . And as you say, this does reduce your risk of having an angle closure glaucoma attack.
Dr. Dan B. : It should really only affect your vision for an hour or two after the laser, because the bright light of the microscope shining in your eye can wash out your vision temporarily. Other than that, it should not cause any significant vision changes or problems, nor should it cause any significant pain or discomfort afterwards.
Dr. Dan B. : It is quite common for any of my patients to experience significant problems with this laser, it is quite rare for patients to have vision threatening complications with this laser. This is a very safe procedure.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Thank you -that explanation gives me some comfort. I realise it is something that needs to be done,, but was concerned that it could also create new problems with my eyes! Which was a bit scary. The hospital(NHS UK) was supposed to send me an explanatory leaflet, but didn't, so had a few sleepless nights worrying.

Experience: and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology