Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

hi, my child has a vision problems,when he looking his eyes

hi, my child has a vision problems,when he looking his eyes not focusing together,is it common in young age?cureable? thankyou
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
Yes, it is not uncommon for children as young as 3 years to have poor focusing of eyes. It occurs most often due to convergence insufficiency (CI). This is due to weak eye muscles. Treatment is in the form of eye exercises. It is better to get him referred to a pediatric ophthalmologist who also specialise in squint. Poor vision in one eye can cause suppression in that eye resulting in deviation and poor focusing. Giving proper spectacle correction and patching of the sound eye will help in improving vision, treat amblyopia and improve the focusing power of the eyes. A dilated eye exam is also needed to look for organic causes of poor vision in one eye ( cataract, congenital anomalies, retinal problems or tumours). Please do not worry as there is a treatment for majority of the conditions. Just get his eye examined thoroughly by a pediatric ophthalmologist
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist