Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

Dear Ophthalmologist. Current problem: Sent to eye emergency

Customer Question

Dear Ophthalmologist.
Current problem:
Sent to eye emergency in main hospital today by my optician. I had my second cataract removed 4 weeks ago and had sudden dimming of vision 5 days ago. Slight ache at outside of eye/temple . Vision is blurry and misty but sometimes appears bit clearer then goes cloudy again.
A and E checked my retina with a scan and said its fine. Advised they dont know what the dimming of vision is or the aching sensation but to get 2/3 pairs of glasses to help distance and near sight and return if things worsen.
My history is complicated so ill just list it off here.
40 yr old active working mum ( as a podiatrist), Glaucoma , stable, Inflammatory arthritis, stable. Severely myopic before cataracts 11.50 and now severely long sighted. Cant see my dinner or to cook or worse to do my work without reading glasses.
Find work difficult as have to focus on a foot to do very close work and if i or the foot moves, i'm out of focus again. I'm a high risk diabetes podiatrist!!. currently off work due to the cataracts.
Worried about this new development as even with my reading glasses, it still remains cloudy in my recent surgery left eye.
Please advise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Sorry to know about your eye problems after cataract surgery.

You have provided excellent details which are very informative. However sudden loss of vision after 3 weeks of cataract surgery in a high myope , with known history of glaucoma, would need a thorough eye exam by an ophthalmologist rather than the team of doctors at the A&E. They would have dilated and looked for retinal detachment (RD) but I am not sure if they are trained to look for any other retinal finding such as retinal vessel obstructions/ macular edema/optic neuritis or even corneal clouding due to acute rise in intraocular pressure. Kindly get an appointment with your operating eye surgeon( or atleast inform his office regarding your symptoms). It would definitely need more investigations rather than a dilated eye exam alone. In the meanwhile continue to put the prescribed eye drops as suggested.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Hello Emily O Toole,

Do let me know if you have anything else to ask or clarify. I would be glad to answer your queries.

Dr.A.S.Desai