Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently been offered the opportunity of a professional

Customer Question

I have recently been offered the opportunity of a professional kickboxing contract but feel that I need some advice first.
The problem is, is that I suffer with high myopia and astigmatism, my prescription is as follows. R -6.00 -2.25 35.0
L -6.00 -2.25 160.0
BVD - 10.00
I have been told that I should not be undertaking any contact sports as I am at extremely high risk of a retinal detachment, I am just looking for a second opinion as to whether or not I should go ahead and accept the contract. I have worked extremely hard for this, this sport is pretty much my life. I would just appreciate a 100 percent open and honest answer.
Kirsty Allen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it is not your myopia and astigmatism which puts you at risks for retinal detachment.

just doing kickboxing will put you at risks for retinal detachment

but with such myopia, how do you correct your vision when you fight? do you wear contact lenses or no corrective vision?

unless your eye doctors have seen some early signs of retinal detachment on your eye exam.

did they see this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The optician has never found a retinal tear or anything. At most, part of my vitreous jelly detached but he said it wasn't anything serious and it was a normal thing to happen in highly myopic patients.

I was told that the length of my eyeballs mean that the retina has to stretch more than it does for the average person however, I have had mixed opinions about how much this will affect me.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I understand your delemma.

it is hard to wear protective eye wear when you thai kickbox.

but don't you have to correct your vision somehow during competition?

or do you just go without glasses or contact lenses when you fight?