Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

I get these awful lights just appear in one eye & I cannot

I get these awful lights just appear in one eye & I cannot see anything but lights which are flashing,it lasts about 5 minutes & I cannot carry on with whatever I am doing,I get light headed at the same time & all of this is without an alcoholic drink!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
Your symptoms are most likely to be due to scintillating scotoma seen in case of migraine. The exact cause for this phenomenon is not known and in many cases headache is not associated with it ( acephalgic migraine). These episodes typically last anywhere between few minutes to an hour with total recovery of vision. No specific treatment is available for this since it seldom leaves any defect. It can get aggravated by stress/anxiety/fatigue/certain lights or sounds or food intake. Prevention is by avoiding the aggravating factors.
Do let me know if you have anything else to ask in this regard.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Experts are available for advice in modes other than chat and Q&A such as confidential mail/chat, Phone, skype also. You can avail these with additional offer.
I noticed that you have not viewed the answer yet. Is there something else that you need ask or clarify ? Were you looking for something else in the answer? Please let me know. I look forward to your reply. Have a good day!
Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, I also note that I have black specks in both eyes & sometimes these black specks move about & almost seem to fall. Linda.

Hello Linda,
The black specks which move around could be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.
More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.Watch out for any additional symptoms such as a sudden fogginess of vision apart from the flashes and floaters. If noticed these should be immediately brought to the notice of your ophthalmologist for a dilat
Sorry for the incomplete answer ( the system just blinked and my text got posted while I was in the middle of typing).
....for a dilated eye exam.
Thank you and best wishes.