Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I went to my local accident and emergency today due to severe

Customer Question

I went to my local accident and emergency today due to severe discomfort with my left eye. I had experienced sharp stabbing pains and weeping from the eye, the was preventing me from working and I thought it best I had it looked at. Whilst at A&E I saw a doctor who asked me a few questions and then continued to carry out what I thought was a routine check of the inside of the eye. Before starting he said he was going to put an "anaesthetic" into my eye to help with the pain emptying a large amount from the disposable pipet and the same with orange dye. He immediately checked my eyes, told me he could see nothing and then asked me to wait in the waiting room. Whilst in the waiting room I started noticing that my left eye was having difficulty focusing. Knowing that the doctor had put drops into my eyes I initially thought nothing of it. Eventually the doctor gave me an envelope and referred me to an ophthalmologist. When leaving I immediately noticed that my eye was extremely sensitive to light so I turned around and when back to check my eye in the mirror. I discovered that my pupil was now extremely dilated. I went back to the doctor and asked him why this has happened and he told me that he had administered Cyclopentolate and not an anaesthetic. Only then after I return did he inform me that I was unable to drive etc. Considering that he testing my eyes immediately instead of waiting the normal 30 minutes dilating solution to take effect and that fact that he just so forgot to inform me of the side effects and restrictions of this solution. I believe that the doctor had make a mistake and administered Cyclopentolate unintentionally. Should he have emptied the contents of this pupil dilating solution into my eye? What are the side effects? What should I do? I have looked at the documentation solution and as far as I can see you do not need more than a single drop. It has been 6 hours already and my eye is still excessively dilated, my vision is blurred and my eye very sensitive to light.
Thank you time,
Richard Myers
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Dan B. : and thanks question. Are you available to chat?
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, do you have an answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you let me know what information you need? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

?

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry long delay--the site wouldn't let me access the question while. It does sound like he made a mistake in putting pupillary dilation drops in your eye rather than anesthetic. However, thankfully, even if he emptied the entire vial of medicine in your eye, it wouldn't mean your eye would be any more blurry or dilated any longer. It's normal vision to be blurry and you to be more light sensitive with this drop, though. people, this affect lasts 4-6 hours. However, it's not uncommon effect to last 24-48 hours in the occasional person. Does this make sense?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I check back in with this thread.
Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks inquiry!