Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I still have a small bubble in my eye following surgery for

Customer Question

I still have a small bubble in my eye following surgery for retinal detachment. I am told I am not allowed to fly until this has completely gone. What would happen if I did fly before the bubble disappeared.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Expansion of the bubble could occur which could raise the pressure in the eye to unsafe levels. For this reason, it is safest to avoid flying until the bubble has resolved.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? I am happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The bubble, as I can see it, is about the size now of a pearl in a necklace. I assume it has to completely disappear before I can fly.

Yes, it is best.