Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

I have unstable angina also had a bypass 14years ago my optamologist

Customer Question

I have unstable angina also had a bypass 14years ago my optamologist prescribed xalatan eye drops a year ago after just a few weeks i had to change to azopt because of angina pain which would appear to be a side effect of xalatan . One year on azopt eyedrops and the pressure has not stabalised. as the pressure is now 28 up from 26. He now recommends a beta blocker eye drop timofluid to be taken once daily in conjunction with azopt drops twice daily.i am wary of this situation and i am reluctant to use the timofluid as i feel this is more likely to bring on angina attacks ,presently i am just using the azopt drops.my questions are how high can pressure go without doing damage to my sight ,also is there any other more appropriate treatment for my condition.my mother had glaucoma in her 80s i am 75yrs
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. First off have you discussed this with your cardiologist?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like but a beta blocker eye drop shouldn't cause angina. In fact beta blocker medications are used to lower the work load of the heart in patients with coronary artery disease. As for the pressure in you eyes, it's moderately high and it does need treatment