Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

Please can you help me. I have a constant blinking problem

Please can you help me. I have a constant blinking problem and very sore eyes. This has been getting progressively worse since last April despite two visits to the optician and two visits to the doctor. The following is the medications prescribed:
Sodium cromoglicate 2o/o
Hydro else o.30/0
Chloramphenicol
Blephagel
Plus every available opt rex product.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Excessive blinking and soreness of eyes are often associated with tear film abnormalities. You have been put on sodium chromoglycate eye drops which are known to reduce corneal edema( water logging of the cornea). However corneal edema is not known to cause sore eyes or excessive blinking.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One needs to understand how tear film abnormalities can occur .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frequent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evaporation of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continuous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears/Systane/Thera tears/Artificial tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However persistent symptoms need to be evaluated for other contributory problems such as meibomitis ( inflammation of the meibomian glands which are modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hence along with the artificial tears you may follow these simple home remedies which are very effective in the treatment of meibomitis-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Experts are available for advice in modes other than chat and Q&A such as confidential mail/chat, Phone, Skype also. You can avail these with additional offer.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your informative reply which is much appreciated. Can you please now tell me how soon I can expect some relief from this extremely uncomfortable condition following your instructions and if there is still no improvement what should my next step be?

Hello Jenny,
Thank you for your prompt reply. The home based lid care and artificial tears are likely to show improvement by 3-4 weeks of continuous use. However failure of improvement needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. If you have consulted an optician and non-ophthalmologist doctors , then I guess it makes sense in consulting an ophthalmologist in future.
Thanks and best wishes
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.