Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS I HAVE NOTICED A "FLOATING BLACK SPOT"

Customer Question

OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS I HAVE NOTICED A "FLOATING BLACK SPOT" WHICH ROTATES
FROM MY LEFT EYE. IT APPEARS TO MOVE IF I FOCUS FROM MY LEFT TO CENTRE VISION.
CAN YOU ADVISE PLEASE?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you for the question.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you noticed any flashes of light or reduced vision along with this floater?

JACUSTOMER-uftk7oiw- :

I have not experienced any reduced vision or flashes of light

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. In that case this floater is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Kindly standby till I explain about PVD briefly.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterized by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if you have any more queries to ask in this regard. I will stand by.

JACUSTOMER-uftk7oiw- :

NO, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Experts are available for advice in modes other than chat and Q&A such as confidential mail/chat, Phone, Skype also. You can avail these with additional offer.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.