Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

HiMy mother in law came to me today with a very poorly

Customer Question

Hi My mother in law came to me today with a very poorly eye, it is very bloodshot and did have a discharge through the night. She is 68 years old and my first thoughts were conjunctivitis, I have some pictures to attach but want a second opinion and some treatment options. Thanks

Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
If she has a gritty sensation under the eye lid and has a discharge that is yellow or thick then this is definitely conjunctivitis. The disease is mostly viral and is self limiting but symptomatic treatment is essential and an anti bacterial topical eye drops is also warranted. I would recommend that you take her to see a physician for a detailed evaluation and prescription topical antibiotic eye drops as well.
Generally, the idea is to protect the eye from sun light, wear sun glasses if out in the sun but best to avoid going out in day light.
Also, steroid eye drops combination with antibiotics are available OTC.
Prednisolone/neomycin/polymyxin or Chloramphenicol 0.5 percent eye drops with prednisolone eye drops can be used thrice a day, instilled 3 to 4 drops in both eyes.
Let me know if you have further queries regarding this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.