Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

how often should one check up if you have had catarract ex

Customer Question

how often should one check up if you have had catarract extraction?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the cataract surgery has been uneventful with no intraoperative compkications then 2 post op visits are adequate. The first would be after a week of surgery and the second after4 weeks. The second visit is for refraction and spectacle correction if required. More frequent visits are required if there are intraoperative complications or any post operative complication is noted at the first visit.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However patients can voluntarily follow up with the doctor anytime if they notice any sudden onset of pain, blurring of vision, redness with watering or discharge.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am diabetic.I have an annual eye monitoring/screening for retinopathy. There is no sign of such condition. Will catarract extraction mask any detection of the condition? My blood sugar is reasonably controlled but sometimes fluctuates during times of stress for example.

what other monitoring/screening test that may be more effective will you advise please?

Hello Lola,
Thank you for the reply and additional information.
As part of preoperative evaluation you will undergo blood tests including Hb1Ac which indicates whether or not the blood sugar has been under good control. It should be around 6.
Cataract surgery will not mask any signs of diabetic retinopathy. You need to monitor the vision regularly or a self check would help.
Just in case the vision becomes blurred afer e few weeks of surgery then an OCT /fundus exam to rule out diabetic macular edema might be advised. Other than that I guess there should be no problem.
Best wishes for a good cataract surgery!
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My father has glucoma and my sister has recently been diagnosed with it as well. She is having to apply eye drops over the course of the day and night. It's a bit of a problem for her especially at work. she said her eyes are a bit blurry after application of the drops and she needs to close and rest them.

I have had a test done. I was told that the pressure in one eye is high but in the the normal range. I was asked to come in a years time for annual check up.

Please what else can my sister do to reduce the frequency of application especially during working period?

What can I do to ensure I do not have glucoma? Should I be requesting for a treatment of some sort to make sure that I do not development glucoma? Should I be treating the eye with elevated pressure now? if so, what treatment should I be having?

As long as the eye pressure is within normal limits and is not causing any damage to the optic nerve, theee is no need for any treatment nor are there any preventive measures. A regular eye check up is enough.
Your sister can request for a change in eye drops which need a single eye drop at night such as latanoprost
However it is the decision of the treating doctor to select the best possible eyedrop in each individual.