Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

one of my pupils are larger than the other what causes this

Hi one of my pupils are larger than the other what causes this please??
Kind Regards Ian
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ian,
Welcome to Just Answer.
It would depend on how much difference is there between the two pupils. If the difference is less than 1 mm and both pupils react briskly to light then it could be physiological and can be left alone.
If the difference between the two pupils is more than 1 mm then it needs to be evaluated whether one pupil is bigger than the other or one is smaller than the other.
Causes of one pupil being larger than the other with poorly reacting pupil would include-
1.traumatic mydriasis ( following injury or trauma to the eye)
2.Toxic pupil ( accidental rubbing of one eye by fingers contaminated by certain plants)
3.Side effect of medicines( either mydriatic eye drops or systemic medicines such as anti- depressants, cocaine.
4.neurological cause such as third nerve palsy
5.Ocular diseases such as absolute glaucoma, angle closure glaucoma, optic atrophy
If it is due to any of the drugs which you have taken, it would have manifested in both eyes. Hence it would be better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and detailed evaluation.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate excellent service I will seek amediate attention. 5 star service lovely helpfull lady with great knowledge.

Take care and thanks again

Ian R Newall