Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

I have a alternating squint my squint swaps from one eye to

Customer Question

I have a alternating squint my squint swaps from one eye to another, the squint appears sometimes, My eye doctor said that doing surgery on the eye with the bigger squint will fix the appearance of the squint in both eyes and make it look straight all the time, is that true
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is true, I agree with your ophthalmologist in that "surgery on the eye with the bigger squint will fix the appearance of the squint in both eyes".
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have alternating divergent squint, How does doing surgery on the eye with the bigger squint fix the appearance of both eyes making both eyes look straight?
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
Before we decide the line of treatment you need to understand that in alternating squint, one eye fixates while the other deviates. In your case one of the eyes deviates a bit more as compared to the other. For example if the right eye deviates 45 degrees outwards ( 45 deg exotropia) while the left eye fixates whereas with right eye fixation the left eye deviates 40 degrees. In that case surgical correction of one eye is sufficient. In the above scenario, operating on the right eye would get both eyes to fixate simultaneously( left eye is already fixating and surgical correction of the right would bring both eyes to look straight). However this correction is meant for alignment of eyes only . It does not assure 20/20 vision and vision in each eye would continue to be the same as before.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so if my right eye became straight would my left eye still go out having sqiunt

No, after surgery, the left eye would remain straight and should not deviate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so if i had surgery on the right eye with the bigger squint (I have alternating divergent squint which appears sometimes) would my left eye never deviate

In straight gaze, both eyes would be aligned. The surgery is aimed to do so with a slight under or over correction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my doctor is not going to over correct or under correct my eye is what he said, i understand over correcting it or under correcting it would make my eye not look straight, are you qualified