Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

Can severe hyperventilating/anxiety cause visions

can severe hyperventilating/anxiety cause visions problems/eye pressure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the eye problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well sometimes when im outside im very sensitive to the sun that tears comr out my eyes and i feel like stopping my car....its not normal light sensitivity its quite strong.and i also feel like im going to go blind when im not in sun when conditions are normal.i suffer from anxiety could this be a cause,ive had a full eyesight test at the opticians they said my vision is fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--what do you mean by feeling as though you might go blind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
like getting vision problems and wanting to keep my eyes closed if i have them remained open i feel like its tunnel vision and i get a pressure in my eyes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Then to answer your question, yes, hyperventilation can cause that kind of vision problem and can also make one feel dizzy or like they're about to pass out. And an anxiety attack can make someone hyperventilate

Let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hyperventilation to the point where a person feels like they are going to stop being able to see...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--one can hyperventilate sufficiently to cause that
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience: Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders