Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

Earlier today I noticed what looked like a fly in my field

Earlier today I noticed what looked like a fly in my field of vision which i recognised as a possiblefloater. Tonight I looked quickly to the side at one point and realized that the fly had become two distinctive dots close to each other. I am 68 and have dry eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
You are right that the spots are very likely to be floaters. The change in shape would not matter as floaters can vary is size and shape.
It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.
More often than not, it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.
The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist