Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

I have puffy right eye lid past week now. It's painful

I have puffy right eye lid for the past week now. It's painful to touch and tingling at times.
what could have caused this? Is it serious and should be concerned? I have doule extraction a couple of years ago. Please respond quickly.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
One of the possibilities is that a stye( internal hordeolum). It is a kind of infection of the glands present in the eyelid. If treated early with warm compresses it resolves without any further medication. However if it goes to the next stage of cellulitis or even stage of abscess, it does require a short course of oral antibiotics. This is to prevent the infection from spreading any further( rarely untreated fulminant infections can spread to the brain especially in those with low immunity as in case of diabetes mellitus).
It is better to get the eye examined by your eye doctor or even your GP who can have a look and decide the urgency of starting oral antibiotics. Until then give warm compresses for 10 minutes thrice a day .
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist