Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

My 12 year old son headbutted a metal goalpost while at a football

My 12 year old son headbutted a metal goalpost while at a football tournament about 7 hours ago. This resulted in an immediate egg type lump just over one eye. He was seen by on-site medics who said all was fine and advised use of ice. Now the bump above the eye seems to have subsided a bit, but the eyelid is now so swollen that he can barely open his eye.
Is it fine to use the ice pack on his eyelid? Anything else we could do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
Sorry for the delay in replying back. Yes, it is alright to use ice over the swollen eyelids. The area aroind the eye has loose tissue which easily allows fluid or blood to accumulate thus causing the periorbital swelling.
It will subside gradually over few days to a week. In case of hematoma, it will change colour from dark red to purplish to green before it disappears. His eye should be fine soon.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist