Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

My problem started a few months ago, that every so often

My problem started a few months ago, that every so often in the morning I have difficulties opening my eyes.
I can try to force opening it up but this doesn’t always work and if I do do it then my eyes starts hurting and eventually I have a headache.
The other way is to get them open is just to wait, sometimes a few minutes or it could also take around 20-30 minutes and then it’s much easier to open them, but because I’m trying to open them for such a long time I also get a headache and my eyes starts hurting.
Are you able to help me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank you for the question.It would help to know your age as it would be very important for a diagnosis to be made.Are you using any eye drops ? Have you noticed any eye muscle fatigue in the recent months? Any muscle fatigue elsewhere in the body?This is just an information request.I look forward to your replies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm 28 and not using any drops.

Everything is fine, nothing is swollen, or red.

I do take medication for thyroid, not sure if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the additional information.It is likely that you have some amount of dry eyes and meibomitis. Meibomian glands are modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids. They can get inflamed and cause stickiness of lids more so ib the early morning waking hours. Lack of their secretion, which is essential for the lipid layer of the tear film, can cause dry eyes. This adds to the difficulty in opening the eyelids. Treatment options-Many appropriate systems of eyelid hygiene exist, and all include variations of 3 essential steps. First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided. •Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful. •Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acid foods such as fish, flax seeds or take supplementary tablets of it.Use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 time a day for about 4 weeks.The above measures are slow to show effect and it might rake about 3 to 4 weeks before you notice any improvement. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

You wrote “They can get inflamed and cause stickiness of lids more so ib the early morning waking hours.”

The thing is that my eyes aren’t sticky; it just feels like that the muscles aren’t strong enough to open them.

That’s why sometimes if I try really hard (without using my fingers) I do manage to open them but then I get a headache.

Does that make any sense?

Yes, this part of the information is useful. If you feel that the eye muscles are kind of weak and it takes a lot of effort to open the eyelids then it is better to get the eyes examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look. A detailed examination of the eyelid muscles with measurements would help to determine if there is indeed a muscle weakness. It may or may not be due to a muscle problem but an evaluation would help.