Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What are the causes of double vision and what is the treatment

Customer Question

What are the causes of double vision and what is the treatment for it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrDon replied 1 year ago.
Edgar:Double vision (diplopia) has many different posible causes. These can originate within the muscles that move the eyes, from the eyes themselves, from neural pathways (nerves that run between the eyes and the brain), and from the brain itself. Therefore, to know what the cause is for your particular problem, you need a diagnosis, which will identify the cause. The types of treatments are also multiple and depend on the particular diagnosis made. Regarding a possible link with cerebellar ataxia, you are correct in thinking there may be a relationship, in particular if your ataxia is from a cause that might also impair the muscles that surround the eye. Do you have a neurologist you can see? He (or she) could examine you and determine a next step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a neurologist who arranged for me to have an MRI some time ago. At the time she was only interested in the my ataxia problem. The ataxia condition started about 5 or 6 years ago. The double vision started about 2 years ago. It isn't constant.
Sometimes it might last a few days and then it would be gone for a day. Sometimes it is very pronounced. Other times it is hardly noticeable. It seems worse when driving in poor light (late evening).
Are there any exercises I could do?
Expert:  DrDon replied 1 year ago.
Edgar:You need an accurate diagnosis that takes into consideration these neurological issues. Are you able to see that neurologist again, or do you want to see an new physician specializing in problems like yours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you recommend a physician specializing in problems similar to mine?