wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

My husband has uveitus and has had both lenses changed due

Customer Question

my husband has uveitus and has had both lenses changed due to cataract. On his recent visit to the uveitis clinic he explained one eye was milky/cloudy again. The eye looked clear so he was sent for photographs this showed the retina had thinned so he was sent for a flueroscan this showed a blockage which the suggested was a stroke possibly a TIA. He was told it was irreversible but would not get worse. and he has now been to the stroke clinic. His ECG was*****brain scan looked OK and at his Doppler scan of his neck he was told a little plaque but nothing out of the ordinary. He already had high blood pressure for which he is was on 5mg of ramipril. This has been doubled and he is now on simvastatin cholesterol tablets and blood thinners while the clinic receive his blood test results. This is all in order. The concern is his sight is getting worse and his other eye is a lazy eye. His sight is cloudy he explains like looking through obscure glass, hazy or milky yet at night he can see as well as before yet nowhere can I find any explanation or agreement of this Where his sight improves in the dark and wonder if there would be anything which could help him in daylight hours to improve his ability and possibly any reason for this as it is frustrating that his sight seems to be worsening when he was told it wouldn't and that it is his only 'good' eye Also nowhere/no one seems to have reason for the daytime glare and night-time clarity
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.I am a retina and uveitis specialist.What sort of eye doctor examined your husbands and said he had a stroke or TIA??Can you scan and upload his clinical eye records?Do your husband have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is under the uvietus clinic at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital, in Sheffield UK - the clinic of Professor Rennie when he explained to the doctor he thought he had a cataract again and explained the cloudy vision They performed the photographs where she saw the thinning of the retina She suspected a blockage and then sent him for flueroscan which showed this
She explained she thought this was from a TIA and arranged for him to be seen at the stroke clinic. This has to take place at Grimsby hospital as only patients of Sheffield GPs are able to visit that clinic
The only other medical condition he has/had is high blood pressure. He was on 5mg of ramipril for this
The high blood pressure was believed to have been caused by all the steroids he was on before we got a second opinion and transferred to the uvietus clinic.
I cannot upload his records as we don't have them the hospital do
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for that additional information.It sounds like your husband is getting the best possible care from highly trained and very ethical physicians.His cataract can very easily explain your husbands problem with glare during the day while still having clear vision at night. This is very common.As such I would not worry at this point and continue to trust that Professor Rennie is doing everything possible to help your husband.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry no it doesn't help at all
As I explained he doesn't have a cataract - his explains the cloudy vision is the same as when he did.
We cannot understand or find explanation anywhere for the cloudy and lack of vision in day light but extremely clear vision at night. As soon as it is dark he can see clearly, better than me in fact And we are completely bewildered by this
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for that additional information.After the cataract surgery there is a "bag" that can get cloudy and seems to be just like the cataract.The good news? It can be fixed. Please let me explain:When your cataract is removed a "bag" is left behind. This bag has a back surface called the posterior capsule. Your artificial lens (PCIOL) is placed into this bag during surgery. In a number of patients, months or years after they had their cataract removed and an artificial lens placed inside their capsular bag, the back (posterior) part of the bag becomes cloudy. Some patients liken it to their cataract "growing back" and have symptoms of glare, blurry vision etc. This is not a serious condition and is easily treated in your ophthalmologist’s office with a special instrument called a YAG laser. After putting a numbing drop in your eye a special contact lens is sometimes placed on your eye and, in a few brief moments, the YAG laser "removes" the cloudy posterior capsule. There is no post op recovery time needed, no patch, no drops and you can expect your vision to return within a few moments to hours. The cloudy posterior capsule almost never "grows back" or gets re-cloudy.It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry doctor it seems I am not clear He doesnt have anything related with the catarac or surgery all is showing clear from that
This identified the the other possibilities and test revealed a blockage in the eye - possibly from a stroke has caused the cloudy vision
The concern/question is regarding his vision. In daylight he cannot see well everything is clouded. At night he sees brilliantly as if there is no issue at all. do you know of any reason for this as I cannot find any information anywhere
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
It is hard to say exactly what may be going on however, it is possible that this vascular event/stroke has primarily damaged his cones (cells used for daylight vision) while sparing his rods (cells used to see in the dark)If you could provide more infrormation, such as his retina exam findings, diagnosis and fluorescein angiogram findings I am sure I could help you to better understand what is going on.That being said, the fact that he had carotid doppler testing of his neck done, makes me think that he my have had a hollenhorst plaque lodged in some part of his retinal arterial tree leading to his "eye stroke".Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS