wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

During a very recent consultation with my doctor regarding

During a very recent consultation with my doctor regarding migraine attacks, he asked me to keep a diary of any further attacks and record what I thought had triggered them, and then see him a week later. At this second consultation he asked me questions about my vision which I answered in an honest way. I told him that when I looked at a light coloured surface like the plain cream coloured walls of his room, I was able to see my heartbeat as a pulsating light in my vision. His reaction was extraordinary. " O come on" he said," i'm beginning to think psychiatric now". I was shocked. He clearly did not believe me. I told him that my wife had also experienced the same thing occasionally and that if he took my pulse rate I would be able to call it out to him and we would be able to syncronise as proof. He declined .
I am a retired senior Fire Officer regarded by my friends as a person of integrity, so I am insulted by his comments as I think anyone would be.
I know that this condition does exist. so I would like to know its name and more about it so that I can educate him when I see him again in Four weeks time, if I decide to see him again.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.While this is not very common I have experienced a few patients over the three decades of my practice as a retina specialist who experience the same thing with their heartbeat as you do..The condition is a type of entoptic phenomena and should not be thought of as the manifestation, nor a sign, of a psychiatric condition.The good news?This is nothing to worry about at all. It is not a sign that anything is wrong or something specific to your possible migraines.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your reply told me nothing I did not already know. I wanted to know the name of the condition and its causes which I know exist. I feel I wasted £26 and that a refund would be in order. Otherwise forget it.
Ivor Roberts.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
The name of the condition is entoptic phenomena.There is no other name.I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts. Dr. Rick MD FACS