wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

About 4 months ago I woke up and both of my eyes were completely

Customer Question

Hi. about 4 months ago I woke up and both of my eyes were completely bloodshot. this lasted for around 4-5 days i went to my gp who told me i had bacterial conjunctivitis. I used eyedrops for this, the intense redness did go down but i think that was more to do with the time span rather than the drops working to effect. Now 4 months on I have still got red veins on the whites of my eye and have noticed some of my eyelashes are pointing in different directions. I have no other symptoms such as burning, irritation, watery, sticky or any pain. It feels absolutely normal. The only other thing I have noticed from this when it first occurred to now is that my eye mucus is now more of a watery white consistency when it used to be dry and crumbly before hand. I have been to a optician who told me he thought I have blepharitis and give me lid scrubs and a hot compress. Tried it all has not worked. Also tried artifical tears for dry eyes. I keep visiting my gp and really want to get referred to a opthamologist but I can't get the referral. It is really effecting me, I can not give eye contact to anybody. the veins in my eye are more pink than red. I feel as though I am not getting the correct treatment. It's almost as though my GP expects me to have the veins in my eyes for ever. The reason I think that there is a on going problem is that every now and again I get red dots like little blotches in the whites of my eye, most of the time near my Iris. that can last for a few hours. But why is this happening? I really need help. The optician has told me my eyes are healthy but why are my veins now more visible when I have never had this problem before. Why do I get red blotches? I am a male and only 21 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Do you know what drops you used?Do you wear contacts?Can you upload a picture of your eyes clearly showing the area of concern (in focus)?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at the very start when the redness was the worst (first week) I used optrex drops for bacterial conjunctivitis. I then used a heat mask and lid scrubs. Then I used viscotears. Followed by artifical tear drops. I have never worn contacts. I am not taking any medication or have not taken any medication following up to this problem. In regards ***** ***** picture it is very hard to see it through a lens. I struggle to see it in pictures however when i look closely in the mirror under a strong light i can see the redness. I have uploaded pictures that i have found online similar to mine. These pictures is what my eye tends to look like when i get these red blotches. This does not happen all the time just every now and again. Also with the pink veins I still have on the outer and inner corners of my eyes. I am worried as this has now occured for 4 months with no positive improvements. No problems with my vision either.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These are my eyes without the flare up of the red blotches. It is very hard as i said to see through a picture. It is more noticeable through a mirror
thank you for that additional information and pictures.Those are the normal veins that run through the "skin" on your eyes. They are, however, a bit dilated.This can be from many, many things.Lid scrubs and hot compresses are not going to make those veins go away...The only way to make them smaller( maybe) is to figure out what the underlying issue is that is causing them to be dilated/irritated. Once again, these veins will always be present.....they are part of your eye. The only way to get rid of them completely is with surgery that removes your conjunctiva.I DO NOT recommend removing this protective cover from your eye.So. What should you do?Make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a complete eye exam so as to figure out what might be causing these blood vessels to be a bit dilated.Do not be surprised if the best result was to be that the blood vessels are a bit smaller or, possibly, that they do not change at all.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. Also I just want to add could it be a possibility that my eyelashes are causing my blood vessels to be more visible? Since this problem has occured my eyelashes have been pointing in different directions, some towards the eye as well. Also i have noticed that i tend to get eyelashes stuck in my eye more frequently now. I am just a little concerned that my eyes were absolutely fine 4 months ago my conjunctiva was completely white with no vissible red veins/vessels. I will have to go private to see a ompthalogist as i can not get a referral from my gp
Usually a few "wild" eyelashes do not irritate the eye much.I'm sorry that your GP refuses to refer you to an ophthalmologist. Things sure are a lot different in the UK health system when compared to what we do here in the USA.I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACSI wish you the very best.
Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks doc. Also one more thing I should add is that the blood vessels look most visible after just waking up whether it be in the morning or if I was to take a nap during the day, the red veins are more visible. This then goes down slightly as the day goes on. So i am not sure if something is irritating my eyes or not whilst i sleep as I do not feel any discomfort.
You might be allergic to something in the environment or it could even be from dryness of your eyes or the blepharitis like your other doctor mentioned.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
UPDATE:Hi doctor,
I have visited a optometrist today who closely examined my eyes through a slit lamp. She had it on the highest setting of brightness and said there is gunk and crusting on upper and lower lid and it looks pretty bad soreness etc. She also put something in my eye to see how quick my tears got evaporated which was very quick. However I can not see any of this gunk and crusting and i do not have any stickiness in my eyes. Why can't I see this? The only thing visible is the red veins in the white's of my eye. She diagnosed me with blepharitis and told me to get blephagel which needs to be used every day along with artifical tears. Now that I have a diagnosis will this redness in my eye eventually go away?
Sounds like you have blepharitis. You would not be able to see this gunk as well as she can at the slit lamp.Try this home treatment:It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time. When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy). Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination. The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils. Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec. Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms. I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work. Does this make sense to you?
The above works better than blephagel....And the redness should improve :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi doc,Thanks that was a helpful reply.I had done warm compress followed by eyelid scrubs for around 2 weeks but never persistantly, when i thought that it was not making a difference to the appearance i stopped. As far as artifical tears I have not used them often either which I will start doing, what eyedrops are best for the dry eyes? a prespective free ones? I just dont like things in and around my eyes as they are very sensitive that's why i havent been doing much to treat it.
Also I have come across a few things doc including things such as Lipiflow. Is this effective?
Also if appearance does not improve in the future I have also come across a eye doctor in Beverly hills called Dr Brian who has a treatment available called I-BRIGHT which actually makes your eyes white again
It is time to close this thread and open a new one so we can continue.Just put "for Dr. Rick only" in the post.I look forward to helping you further.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
for Dr Rick only
Actually, what you need to do is start a new question (posting it the same way as you did this one) and put "for Dr. Rick Only" at the start of your post.This thread is complete at this time.I look forward to chatting with you soon.