wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

My granddaughter age 4 years has started involuntarily

Customer Question

my granddaughter age 4 years has started involuntarily moving her eyes upwards and to the left at intervals. My daughter saw the GP who said to wait for a couple of months to see if it would go away. It could be tourettes. I am worried that it has been caused by whiplash due to energetic play. I hope you are able to advise me further as I am not sleeping through worry as she is very precious
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.I very much doubt that this has been caused by whiplash during energetic play....But I do not agree with the GP:This should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, preferably a pediatric ophthalmologist, sooner rather than later.We can talk on the phone or, since you are in the UK and I'm in the USA, skype would probably be easier. I will send you a link for the additional services and you can pick whichever communication format works best for you.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't use Skype and dont know how to, sorry. I must have pressed something by mistake, many apologies, not very IT literate of me. I don't know where to begin to get to a pediatric ophthamologist in the UK> I guess its back to the GP for a referral. what should we say please to make her take us seriously as its always seems to be wait and see in the UK?.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ps The energetic play was trampolines and being flung in the air by daddy.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
OK. No problem. It is easy to push the wrong buttons on these silly computers ;)I guess in that case the first step would be to have a pediatrician evaluate her and make sure that this was not such some "habit" of moving her eyes that, sometimes, kids do.Then, they really need to refer her to an pediatric ophthalmologist. This is because, if her eyes are not working together, she could end up loosing vision. This is a condition called amblyopia.The energetic play shouldn't have caused any problems. I have five kids and I did much worse with them without any issues. ;)I'd do your best to get her through the system to a peds eye MD.......even if you have to see a private doctor.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
her eyes are working together as when she glances up and left both eyes are in sync. Does that make any difference? It has only started recently within the past couple of weeks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If there is anything you can add, I would be grateful for a final comment before I rate this conversation. Thank you
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
They should work together in all fields of gaze. Since this does not seem to be the case she should be evaluated by a pediatric Eye MD.Let me know what the doctor has to say
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I am confused. I did say that her eyes work together in sync but you have replied that as they do not we should see a paediatrician. Perhaps we should start again:At irregular intervals, both eyes in sync, move momentarily upwards to the left as if she is thinking about something. It is fleeting.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The GP says wait and see as it may be tourettes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What I would like to find out is if there might be alternative reasons for my granddaughter's involuntary but in sync eye movements.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
Yes, there are many of them....but a laundry list of possibilities is not of much use....Tourettes is rare and I'm not sure why his is thinking about this possibility....If I were in your shoes I would take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will need to convince my daughter (the mum)as she was the one who took her to see the GP. While I have found someone privately, she thinks she should wait as instructed. I have also found out that the fathers cousin has children with tourettes.
Have you any suggestions please?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
The only thing to do is have her seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist.........waiting is not what I would do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why please? I am a detail person and facts help me reach a decision, please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is the risk of delaying as the GP wants to wit a couple of months. If it is tourettes then I have read it is incurable.