wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I have shingles mainly on forehead but is travelling down left

Customer Question

I have shingles mainly on forehead but is travelling down left side of face, namely nose and left eye. Attended my GP on Thursday evening and have been taking Aciclovir 800mg five times daily and applyingZovirax eye ointment to left eye 5 times daily. Should I get the eye checked out at a specialist eye infirmary and if so can i refer myself to the eye hospital?
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Yes! As an eye surgeon, you need to see an ophthalmologist ASAP!With a lesions on your nose and left eye it is very important that the ophthalmologist evaluate you for the possibility that the shingles might be attacking your eyeball itself. Just Zovirax eye ointment is not the way to do it.....As I am in the USA, I do not really understand how the health care system works in the UK :(So. What should you do?1. If you are having any decreased vision, eyeball or orbit pain or nausea/vomiting the I'd suggest you go to the ER and ask them to bring in an ophthalmologist in to examine you.2. If you are OK from an ocular point of view you should try to get into see an ophthalmologist Monday or so.Here is an excellent article from a very respected source that you might find helpful:https://www.kirkeyecenter.com/patient-education/herpes-zoster-shingles-eye-infections/Make sense to you?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS