wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I had an eye test yesterday and following the eye health

Hi, I had an eye test yesterday and following the eye health test 'photo', the optometrist noted that my artery in the eye was very thin. He asked if I have low blood pressure and then proceeded to tell me that thin arteries to the heart would be serious.My circulation is not great and my grandfather had diabetes and coronary heart disease but was overweight. I am 42 male, healthy with a low 20.5 BMI. My blood pressure has been normal in the past but over the past few days I have felt some tingles in my hands and legs. I can suffer from health anxiety and thought these tingles were anxiety related but with the confirmed thin artery in the eye, my question is can this thin artery be 'normal' or is it worth me checking out arteries elsewhere and if so which specialist should I see?thanks
Dylan
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

can you upload the photo?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. I dont have the photo. It was just the one artery he showed me that was very thin. My eyesight is fine. Only medical problem is mild colitis which is under control and no medication. I used to get occasional ocular migraines but none for a while.Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Maybe I can get the photo next week from the optometrist
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

If you want to wait until you can get the picture we can leave this thread open until then. Let me know what you would like to do.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Lets try that. Will be in touch next week
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like a good plan :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, the optometrist is unable to transfer the photo and email it. So I guess in the dark(!) the questions are:1. Assuming it is indeed a thin artery, does that necessarily mean arteries elsewhere are thin? Can the size vary and change during/after eye test?2. Although I am in good health/ low BMI and my grandfather was the opposite with diabetes and heart disease, given my circulation is generally not great and recently I have felt tingles in hands/feet, should I check and who can best assess arteries elsewhere?thanks
Dylan
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Dylan,

Ok. Well, we can work without it. :)

And thanks for that additional information.

As a retina specialist I would, first and foremost, counsel you not to believe anything that your optometrist says about the status of your artery. This is especially true since he was all worried that this "thin artery" was somehow related to low blood pressure -- since there is no such relationship between a "thin" artery and low blood pressure!

In high blood pressure, arteries can get thick and cause nicking (compression) of the underlying veins....but this is not something I'd expect an optometrist to have the training to diagnose.

So. What is the take home message?

1. In my professional opinion, this optometrist has no idea what he is talking about....

2. If you want a good opinion on the health of your retinal vasculature consult with an ophthalmologist (Eye MD)

3. But, truth be told, from what you have posted, I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.