wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I have been having very scary symptoms such as dizziness,

Customer Question

Hey there.
I have been having very scary symptoms such as dizziness, pains in back of neck and numbness in back of neck, eye pain, ear pain, double vision (ghosting on images) muscle spasms and visual disturbances (like my vision will completely lose focus for a brief second then readjust itself.) I am short sighted normally but have never had anything occur like this before.
I have taken a video of it, only one eye appears to be affected, if you would like to see it?
I am 25, normally healthy, have had a CT scan of my head which came back normal, been to my opticians whose examined my eyes twice and seen nothing abnormal. and was wondering if I should maybe push for an MRI?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pay attention to the right eye. Everytime I move my eyes from something close up to far away it completely blurs out and takes about 2 seconds to readjust, and this happens everytime I move my eyes.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

You may be suffering from accommodative spasm.

What you need is a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD), including a wet (with eye drops) and a dry (no drops) refraction.

This will uncover any hidden hyperopia you might have.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My main concern is that there is something neurological causing these spasms as I have been having neck pains, muscle spasms and lots of cognitive symptoms like stumbled speech and balance issues.Would a CT scan have picked up anything that would cause this, or will an MRI be needed?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

A CT would do a good job of picking up anything inside your head that could have been causing this.

Opticians are not really trained enough to deal with your issues....you need to see an ophthalmologist.

Does this make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I go about seeing an ophthalmologist? Do I need a referral from my GP or optician?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Here in the USA you would just call and make an appointment....but, I've heard that in the UK, you have to go through your GP.....

I'm not sure if opticians make referrals; in the USA they only fit glasses.

I wish you the very best. Have a good week.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have had eye examinations by an optometrist who said I am just very short sighted. but how can I have symptoms of a long sighted ailment? as well as headaches? stuttered speech and neck pains, when my brain scan came back clear?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you watch the video to see how my eye moves when I try and focus? It is not only long distance but short distance as well I get this symptom.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

The link to the video did not load

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hmm. Is there any easier way I could send you this? as it does show abnormal eye movement and I would love to know your take on it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have made it into a gif to make it easier to send but it won't attach for some reason.