wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I've been to see a Opthalmology Consultant (as I was

Customer Question

I've been to see a Opthalmology Consultant (as I was referred urgently to NHS, UK) as when I was at the Opticians, they saw some 'differences with the optic nerve area'
When the Consultant was looking he said that the Optic nerve/disk area wasn't swollen, but what he saw was many blood vessels which were making the Optic Disk look swollen to the untrained eye of the optician, but it wasn't swollen, simply crowded.
Please could you advise that the fact I have ' Crowded Optic Disks' could this be a sign of something not very nice and hinder my eyesight in the future, or is this not the case?
Please can you advise?
Here is the follow up consultant letter below...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
LETTER FROM CLINIC
I examined this patient in the Urgent Eye Clinic today.
Diagnoses:
1. Bilateral posterior vitreous detachment
2. Bilateral crowded optic discs slightly tiled in the left otherwise normal.
Aided Visual Acuity:
6/7.5-3 right eye and 6/6 left eye
Plan:
The patient was discharged with retinal detachment warning symptoms and was advised to seek urgent opthalmic review if he has any concern.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

There is nothing to worry about, and there is nothing that needs to be done, with your diagnosis of crowded optic disks.

This is just the way your optic disks are and they have most likely been this way your entire life.

While it may put you at a slightly higher risk of some issues in the future -- such as arterial or vein occlusions -- there is, truly, nothing you need to do -- or can do -- about this.

I would put this out of your mind and not worry at all.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Rick.You mention a slightly increased risk of Vein or Arterial Occlusions....can I ask a few questions about this?Is that of the eye area or somewhere else in the body?Is that related to high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc?And if I were to control those factors (blood pressure, cholesterol etc) would the slight change of getting either a vein / arterial Occlusions be less?Also with Vein / Arterial Occlusions- worst case scenario - can you lose your sight?Just would like to understand how st risk I am of that, to some degree. The eye consultant who I saw did even suggest a follow up for this possibility.I'm not trying to 'freak out' but my eyesight is over paramount importance and just kinda wanna scope out how likely a slight risk would be, compared say to the general population? I know you've not seen my eyes but just trying to get an idea of that? And indeed if I can control any other risk factors that may make that less of a possibility.Thanks Dr Rick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Rick - not sure if you've seen my questions/reply? So thought I'd send it over again, in case it didn't come into you okay?You mention a slightly increased risk of Vein or Arterial Occlusions....can I ask a few questions about this?Is that of the eye area or somewhere else in the body?Is that related to high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc?And if I were to control those factors (blood pressure, cholesterol etc) would the slight change of getting either a vein / arterial Occlusions be less?Also with Vein / Arterial Occlusions- worst case scenario - can you lose your sight?Just would like to understand how st risk I am of that, to some degree. The eye consultant who I saw did even suggest a follow up for this possibility.I'm not trying to 'freak out' but my eyesight is over paramount importance and just kinda wanna scope out how likely a slight risk would be, compared say to the general population? I know you've not seen my eyes but just trying to get an idea of that? And indeed if I can control any other risk factors that may make that less of a possibility.Thanks Dr Rick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Let me go over these additional questions in order:

1. in the eye

2 not really

3. not really

4. yes. You can go blind in that eye

5. No need to freak out...your optic nerve has been this way your entire life.