wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

My friend has been told by the optician that she has some

My friend has been told by the optician that she has some bleeding behind the eye, which is likely to be caused by high blood pressure or diabetes. Since she generally does not have high blood pressure then she has concluded and is worried that she must have diabetes. As the report will not reach her GP for two weeks and there will then be a referral to a specialist, can you give any more benign reasons as to why this bleeding may have occurred. She has been under considerable stress lately and takes regular thyroxin, but otherwise healthy except for slightly raised cholesterol.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Is her vision affected?

Do you have any pictures?

Does your have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No vision issue. No pictures. No medication except for thyroxin as noted.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

An optician is really not qualified to tell if there is bleeding behind the eye, especially when there is no significant vision loss.

The best thing for your friend to do is get into see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a complete, dilated, eye exam so that she can find out what is really going on.

Is it possible to get into see a private ophthalmologist in a timely fashion or is the NHS the only way to see an eye MD?

I'd not get overly concerned about what the optician said....but do see an ophthalmologist to be safe.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. So would it be fair to say that without an expert examination then it is quite possible that any bleeding seen by the optician could be relatively benign?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Yes, very much so.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.