wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

Diagnosed with macular hole and referred for surgery

Customer Question

Diagnosed with macular hole and referred for surgery .worried about aftercare and being face down as recently had spinal surgery -will my condition get worse if not treated as I can manage as long as I don't close my good eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina surgeon.

Yes. Time is of the essence with a macular hole.

It will get worse without timely treatment...

You will, however, not go totally blind as the hole enlarges; you will only loose a larger and larger part of your central vision.

You will become legally blind (less than 20/200 vision) but you will still have side vision for getting around...

So. What should you do?

If at all possible, I strongly recommend that you proceed with your vitrectomy, any recommended adjunct treatment of your macular hole, and gas/fluid exchange.

There are places that rent/sell specialized equipment to make it easier for you to do face down positioning. Ask your retina surgeon for stores near you.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS