wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I have just been to the opticians and she says she has

I have just been to the opticians and she says she has noticed very slight degeneration of one eye (at the back right at the bottom). She says its not urgent and has referred me to my GP for a second opinion. I asked what it meant and she just said a higher risk to retinal detachment. Is this likely to be lattice degeneration and should i be worried? I imagine I'll have to wait weeks for my appointment so just want peace of mind. I'm 34 years of age and I'm short sighted in both eyes (but only 1.0). No medical conditions or family history.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina specialist.

Going to the GP doesn't make any sense at all for an eye issue.....

What is your glasses Rx?

Have you been having any eye symptoms or problems at all?

Did the optician take a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it's standard practice to refer the issue your own GP first who will then deal with the relevant hospital appointment. That's what the research I've done suggests anyway.Pictures were taken and all was fine. The only issue she was slight degeneration when inspecting the back of the eye at the bottom.No previous issues other than the fact my previous prescription needed increasing slightly.My eyes are currently short sighted -1.0 -1.0.She said it wasn't urgent and just wanted a second opinion. Whatever it is means there is a slight risk of retinal detachment I think but nothing urgent.Is it likely to be Lattice degeneration? It seems common? Especially with it being at the bottom and back of my eye?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No medication or medical issues
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

A minus one Rx does not put you at an increased risk for retinal detachments.

And, to tell you the truth, I am very skeptical that an optician can see far enough toward the retinal periphery to find lattice degeneration....

So. What should you do?

1. Don't worry. I bet everything is fine.

2. Make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a dilated retinal examination, possibly with scleral depression if indicated. If you are really concerned you could see a retina specialist...but, from what you have posted, I do not think that is necessary at this time.

3. Going to your GP is a total waste of time when it comes to getting a second opinion on whatever the optician found on your retina. A GP does not have the equipment or training to examine the retina.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.