wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

My left eye deeply bloodshot on the outer side and the

My left eye deeply bloodshot on the outer side and the remainder of the eye darkly discoloured as in - browny/yellowy shades; no pain; no itching; and NO I have not rubbed it at all. I never rub my eyes; and remove my make-up very gently always. Please what would you recommend I should do to ease the situation ? thank you. Jayne *********
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Experience: I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear Dr Rick
Thank you very much for your diagnosis, and, YES, it does make total sense to me. Oddly enough I had my annual eye- test only last week and all was well ! My optician - Mr Bizwaz - is one of the eye surgeons locally at the Kingston Hospital. Incidentally I am still engaged in my work as a vocal coach and voice therapist. I am passionate about my professional
occupation and love every second I spend with my students and clients; plus the feedback I receive is totally gratifying. Hopefully I will continue for a very long time or until nature dictates................Jayne .......