Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

Recently when I turn the light off I loose complete vision

Recently when I turn the light off I loose complete vision in one eye. When I turn the light back on vision is completely restored. I don't have any problems in that eye during the day- only when going from light to dark. Do you know what could be causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 9 months ago.

Loss of vision in dark alone is due to abnormal dark adaptation in that eye. It is better to get a detailed eye exam done by an ophthalmologist so as to rule out all possible causes of night blindness or abnormal dark adaptations. It is seen due to abnormal functioning of rods ( the special cells responsible for normal night vision) / Vitamin A deficiency/ peripheral lens opacities. I hope this helps.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist