Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  and eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I'm hoping to get some help with something I've been

Customer Question

Good morning. I'm hoping to get some help with something I've been experiencing for some time now.
Approximately 8 months ago during the third trimester of my pregnancy I started experiencing what I can only explain as balls or flashes of light in my peripheral vision. These would be very sporadic and occasional, however I went to my GP who sent me to the eye casualty. No problems were found and I was sent home none the wiser.
Gradually over the final months of my pregnancy they became more frequent, I note I also began to experience quite blurred vision as time went on too. I hoped this would go away after delivery of my baby, the blurred vision did but the flashes didn't. They actually got worse. I have since been able to establish triggers for the episodes. I can describe them as small circular balls of white light which can be in one or both eyes and run along the outer edge of my vision only. These have been triggered by: standing up very quickly from being sat on the floor, sneezing, quickly turning my head, going from being in well lit room to a darker room (no so much the other way round but it has happening think), simply closing my eyes, hard coughs. It may not happen every time I do these things, but it does happen. I have also started seeing stars, these occur in my entire vision. Almost like glitter but sometimes coloured. I also see small lines sometimes or small patches. The stars appear through my whole day.
I paid to see a private ophthalmologist a few weeks ago who carried out a visual field test, which I got 100%, checked my optic nerves, retinas and vitreous saying they were all healthy and put it down to age related deterioration of the vitreous, possibly a little dehydration. She said there was no signs of optic neuritis, intercrainial pressure or anything of any other concern. Since this appointment I've steadily been seeing more stars etc.
I've also stared getting random body twitches, all over my body. They are particularly bothersome in my toes but I have experienced them in my toes, feet, calfs, legs, arms, fingers, back, torso, neck, stomach and eyelids. I have had these all day for about a month now. They are enough to be quite visible in my larger muscle groups and smaller movements in my toes. They are quite sporadic and can occur all over the place quite randomly.
About me: I'm feeling well, on a weight loss diet which I eat very healthy and have lost almost 50lbs since the birth of my baby (I hoped this would help but it hasnt). I can function as normal and apart from these things worrying me I can continue an everyday life with my baby, family, walking my dog, yoga etc.
My GP has put it down to anxiety however I have a gut feeling and think she is wrong. I've had blood tests for diabetes, full blood count, vitamins D & B12, liver, kidneys and thyroid.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

I am on call and have to go to the ER to see a patient but I will return as soon as I can to assist you ...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Dr. Thank you for your reply but I thought this may be a neurological question as I've already seen an ophthalmologist. Unless you think that's incorrect.