wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I have had a problem with my vision for ages now don't know

Hi I have had a problem with my vision for ages now don't know what it is it's not blurry but I keep getting headaches everyday and sometimes I feel sick I have had my eyes tested and check they say they are perfect and I have had a brain scan and there is nothing wrong so what can it be I can't take it anymore it getting me down
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

how long has this been going on?

Any other symptoms?

What makes the headaches better?

What makes them worse?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My vision problems have been going on for a few years now but my headaches have only been quite recent I've taken tablets but they don't work
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The visions are constant though and never go away
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I can do to stop them or will they always be there for the rest of my life
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Yes, there are medications that you can take that should decrease the episodes.

In my case, as I got older, the incidence of these events went way down such that I have about 2 of them a year and I'm not really bothered anymore.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok but there not episodes the visions are there all the time constant from when I wake up until I go too sleep what medication can I get over the counter to stop this
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

The is nothing that you can purchase over the counter that will help with this.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is nothing I can do to help it
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Not using over the counter drugs, diet, exercise etc. :(

You might consider consulting with a Professor of Neurology at a Large University Teaching hospital....

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also get where my head feels heavy quite a lot it just hard to cope with it sometimes
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Time to go to a large University teaching hospital for answers to your complex problem...

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the best local large uni hospital near me
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Where do you live?

My screen just says you are in the UK -- a pretty big place :)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Stanford le hope in Essex
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Here is one that seems to be near you:

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I emailed Basildon hospital the address u gave me and they replied I have to ask my doctor but I done that already is there anyone else out there that cud help without me going through my gp thanks
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Not that I know of. You might just google teaching hospitals in your area.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've been researching online my symptoms are more like aura migraines could this be possible
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Yes, as we discussed above....

Dr. Rick MD FACS