wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

Can a cat toy laser pointer <1mw from 20 yards cause any

Customer Question

Can a cat toy laser pointer <1mw from 20 yards cause any damage to a human eye? I have researched it and it is apparently like a camera flash going off close up if I was to shine it directly in the human eye. It is a certified UK cat toy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

that cat toy laser is completely safe.

It will not damage the human eye.

No Way. No How.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so very much. I have been accused of causing damage to a man's eye at 20 yards away so your answer is vital to me.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

There is no way that you caused damage to that persons eye with that cat toy laser from 20 yards away.......

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am in a workplace disciplinary hearing tomorrow - is there anything scientific / or general information that you can give me to help defend myself please
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately not.

But, I have 3 decades clinical experience as a retina surgeon and I can assure you that it is impossible for that laser to have damaged this persons eye by what you have posted.

Best of luck tomorrow.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS