Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

My 91 year old mother has dry macular in one eye. An

Customer Question

My 91 year old mother has dry macular in one eye. An optition called to see her and said he saw a string of gelly material dangling from the ,macular, and that it would sort itsself out. But she is calling me 5 times a day about this eye problem and said she see a few spark like things and now said its quivering. Any ideas or advice please. Jan
Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I am referring about my 91 year old mothers eye.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is 91 and has heart problems
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well flashes of light are common with wet macular degeneration rather then dry. Dry ARMD can precede wet ARMD. Flashes / floaters of new onset or increasing frequency might signify retinal tear or detachment which could be potentially blinding.

I would recommend her an urgent visit to her eye doctor to have a look into her eyes for possible changes i mentioned.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She did have that problem 2 years ago and the optition said he could see that scar. But he did not say this gelly thing was related to that and she does not see the flashes all the time. Rested eyed first thing in the morning seem not to show this.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that it. Have you no more to add.

Yes but she still needs to get an opinion so as to rule out something as sinister as a retinal detachment. Esp if she is now beginning to complain more frequently, meaning flashes bother her more often now.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing