wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

A few weeks ago, I woke one morning and the vision in my

A few weeks ago, I woke one morning and the vision in my right eye was like looking through a thick fog. After about 48 hours it improved to leave a what looks like a long white cloud just above the focal point. As I look up (or down) the cloud moves but always remains just above the focal point. The is more annoying than incapacitating as the left compensates for the missing level of vision of the right eye. Any ideas as the cause and treatment please?
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Has this changed at all since you first noticed it?

Take this amsler grid test and let me know what the grid looks like in your right eye:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/amsler-grid.htm

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There has been no change since 48 hrs after the event ( reduction in curtain from full vision to half vision.)Amsler Test.
Question 1 - No
Question 2 - Yes
Question 3 - Yes. All above the focal point.
Question 4 - No. Top left and top right missing..I underwent a double by-pass operation in April 2016 following an arterial partial blockage.
I am under treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I underwent a spinal stenosis op in 2008 - not totally successful - still get periodic sciatica pains in left thigh area.Current Medication:
15mg methotrexate weekly.
1 x 5mg folic acid tab daily apart from day when methotrexate taken.
400 mg Tamsulosin daily
1 x 75 mg dispersible Aspirin daily.
1 x 40mg Atorvastatin daily
1 x 15mg Lansoprazole cap daily.Apologies for late reply -computer problem!
K Alan Purdon
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also possibly of some relevance is the fact that ever since my by-pass operation, I have suffered from vertigo.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Alan,

Thank you for that additional information.

You need to have a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist or a retina specialist as soon as you can.

Try to get in today or, at the very latest, tomorrow.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have consulted my GP and attended the local NHS Eye Clinic. Iam told there is no visible damage to the retina. I have also had a recent eye test at Boot's who tell me that my eye sight is excellent and the only conclusion is that there may be some damage to a nerve behind the eyeball. Any further comments?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Given what you have posted there is not anything else that can be done. If this defect does not improve on its own withing 6 months you will most likely have it for the rest of your life.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS